A website from the Massachusetts Historical Society; founded 1791.
<< Back to Description | View Image  
Broadside. By An Express Arrived at Philadelphia... Page 1 of 1

By an Express arrived at Philadelphia on Saturday evening, last we have the following account of the battle at Charlestown, on Saturday the 18th of June, Instant.

On Friday night, the 17th Instant, fifteen hundred of the Provincials went to Bunker's-Hill, in order to intrench there, and continued intrenching till Saturday ten o'clock, when 2000 Regulars marched out of Boston, landed in Charlestown, and plundering it of all its valuable effects, set fire to it in ten different places at once; then dividing their army, part of it marched up in the front of the Provincial intrenchment, and began to attack the Provincials at long shot; the other part of their army marched round the town of Charlestown, under cover of the smoke occasioned by the fire of the town. The Provincial centries discovered the Regulars marching upon their left wing. Upon notice of this given by the centry to the Connecticut forces posted upon that wing, Captain Nolton, of Ashford, with 400 of paid forces, immediately repaired to, and pulled up a post and rail-fence, and carried the posts and rails to another fence, put them together for a breast work. Captain Nolton gave orders to the men not to fire until the enemy were got within fifteen rods, and then not till the word was given. At the words being given, the enemy fell surprisingly; it was thought by spectators who stood at a distance, that our men did great execution.

The action continued about two hours, when the Regulars on the right wing were put in confusion and gave way;---the Connecticut troops closely pursued them, and were on the point of pushing their bayonets, when orders were received from General Pomeroy, for those who had been in action for two hours to fall back, and their places to be supplied by fresh troops.---These orders being mistaken for a direction to retreat, our troops on the right wing began a general retreat, which was handed to the left, the principal place of action, where Captains Nolton, Chester, Clark and Putnam, had forced the enemy to give way, and were before them for some considerable distance, and being warmly pursuing the enemy, were, with difficulty, persuaded to retire; but the right wing, by mistaking the orders, having already retreated, the left, to avoid being encirculed, were obliged to retreat also with the main body. They retreated with precipitation across the causeway to Winter's-Hill, in which they were exposed to the fire of the enemy, from their shipping and floating batteries.---We sustained our principal loss in passing the causeway. The enemy pursued our troops to Winter's-Hill, where the Provincials being reinforced by General Putnam, renewed the battle with great spirit, repulsed the enemy with great slaughter, and pursued them until they got under cover of their cannon from the shipping. When the enemy returned to Bunker's-Hill, and the Provincials to Winter's-Hill, where after intrenching and erecting batteries, they on Monday began to fire upon the Regulars on Bunker's-Hill, and on the ships and floating batteries in the harbour when the Express came away. The number of Provincials killed is between 40 and 70; 140 are wounded, of the Connecticut troops 16 were killed.---No officer among them was either killed or wounded, excepting Lieutenant Grosvenor, who was wounded in the hand. A Colonel, or Lieutenant Colonel of the New-Hampshire forces, is among the dead. It is also said that Doctor Warren is undoubtedly among the slain.

The Provincials lost three iron fix-pounders, some intrenching-tools, and a few knapsacks.

The number of Regulars which at first attacked the Provincials on Bunker's-Hill was not less than two thousand, the number of the Provincials was only fifteen hundred, who it is supposed would soon have gained a compleat victory, had it not been for the unhappy mistake already mentioned. The regulars were afterwards reinforced with a thousand men. It is uncertain how great a number of the regulars were killed or wounded; but it was supposed by the spectators, who saw the whole action, that there could not be less than four or five hundred killed. Mr. Gardner, who got out of Boston on Sunday evening, says, that there were five hundred men brought into that place the morning before he came out.

This account was taken from Elijah Hide, of Lebanon, who was a spectator on Winter's Hill, during the whole action.

May 3. A Gentleman in London has received a letter from Jamaica, which brings advice, that a Spanish man of war, of 70 guns, commanded by Don Fernandon, had taken an armed schooner, and two merchant vessels, belonging to Jamaica, and carried them into the Havannah.-----The account further says, that the Spanish men of war and frigates, are continually making depredations on the English merchant ships in the West-Indies, whom they plunder of what they think proper.

May 4. We are told that on Tuesday an Express arrived, which brought an account that several Spanish men of war of the line, and two frigates, were arrived at old Gibraltar, which belongs to the Spaniards, and is within gun-shot of Gibraltar. They are all clean ships, compleatly manned, have a number of troops on board, and give out they are going on an expedition against the Moors.
June 26th, 1775.                                                  LANCASTER: Printed by Francis Bailey.

<< Back to Description | View Image  
Introduction | Essay | Timeline | 10 Accounts
Biographies |
Maps & Views
© Copyright 2003. The Massachusetts Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions.