Return to Massachusetts Maps
To order an image, navigate to the full
display and click "request this image"
on the blue toolbar.
The manuscript map of Middleborough, drawn in June 1793 by Nehemiah Bennett, shows border towns and the locations of meetinghouses, mills, ponds, brooks, and rivers, but it doesn't include the roads of the town. Bennett probably gave this map to the Massachusetts Historical Society at the same time he submitted the text for his "Description of the Town of Middleborough, in the County of Plymouth," an article that was published in the Collections of the Massachusetts Historical Society, volume III, 1794, pages 1-3. The verso of the map includes an endorsement indicating it was received by Jeremy Belknap. (Belknap was the principal founder of the Massachusetts Historical Society and led its collecting and publishing efforts in the 1790s.)