1. What side does the "old soldier" support? Why is it important that it is an "old soldier" speaking?
2. What is the connotation of 'Prospect Hill' as opposed to 'Bunker's Hill?' Do the names make a difference to your emotional reaction?
3. What are the different ways of appealing to the English soldiers? Which do you find more effective? Why combine them?
4. What examples from history does the "old soldier" use in his argument? What point is he trying to make?
5. If you were to try to convince someone you knew not to join the Army, what arguments would you make?
6. Find out the penalty for deserting the British Army in 1776. Given the temptations offered, would you take the chance and switch sides? Why or why not?