Online: Massachusetts Maps
Manuscript plan of South Boston, 4 October 1804
The manuscript plan of South Boston by Mather Withington, a surveyor from Dorchester, primarily shows the layout of streets in this part of the city from an unnamed north-easterly street (present day Foundry Street) to Q Street (present day Farragut Road). Details on the map include residences and land owners, as well as the location of certain trees which may have acted as boundary markers. Two of the trees on a yellow-colored line have the initials DB next to them representing the dividing line between Dorchester and Boston. Telegraph Street and Telegraph Hill (present day Thomas Park) are visible. Also clearly drawn is a bridge extending from Fourth Street over the blue-shaded water. Broadway, Dorchester Street, and many of the numbered and lettered streets are all virtually unchanged. Much of South Boston has changed particularly the creation of more streets and an increase in land mass, especially into Boston Harbor.