Water color in the first volume of Eliza Susan Quincy’s manuscript “Memoir.” Mount Wollaston Farm, which included the site of Thomas Morton’s “Merrymount,” was the estate of Abigail Adams’ maternal grandfather, Colonel John Quincy. In 1767 it passed into the hands of his son Norton Quincy, and it was from here that John and John Quincy Adams took ship for France in February 1778. After Norton Quincy’s death in 1801 the property passed into the hands of the Adamses. In 1875 Eliza Susan Quincy noted on the back of the drawing: “The Lime tree in the foreground of this sketch stood behind the house formerly the residence of Rev. Mr. Hancock, the birthplace of his distinguished son — John Hancock. . . . The splendid limetrees in front of the house of John Quincy, seen in the distance, in this sketch, are yet standing, although the house is gone.” See the Diary entries of [25 June] 1760, 13 August 1769, and 13 February 1778 and notes in the present volume p. 141, 340–341, and vol. 2:269–270.
Courtesy of the Massachusetts Historical Society.