Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 2

Friday 28th. CFA Friday 28th. CFA
Friday 28th.

The weather changed from snow to rain during the night and the 198consequence was that the streets were scarcely passable this morning. Morning at the Office for a few minutes, received a long letter from my Mother explaining the mysterious letters and surprising me very much.1 Went to Mrs. Frothingham’s to see Abby and remained there until dinner. Afternoon at the office. Conversation upon miscellaneous subjects until Late so that I did nothing all day. Evening with Abby passed in the luxury of love.



Saturday 29th. CFA Saturday 29th. CFA
Saturday 29th.

My habit of early rising has again failed. We are strange mortals when we do not possess resolution enough for a business so small. Went to the Office and answered my Mother’s letter from there.1 Mr. Blake then called for me and we paid a morning visit to the bride. She looked and behaved very well. Abby was there. Went to Mrs. Frothinghams, and passed the afternoon and evening with Abby. She was a little dull and unwell. We had much conversation upon all sorts of subjects until the hour of ten when I marched myself home.


CFA’s answer is missing.

Sunday. 30th. CFA Sunday. 30th. CFA
Sunday. 30th.

Morning at home reading and more busily occupied than I have been for some time. Read one of Bossuet’s Sermons on the Nativity,1 but was not much pleased with it. In the afternoon called upon George, got entangled in a very silly argument which I escaped from to go to Mrs. Frothingham’s where I passed the afternoon and evening very agreeably.


CFA’s copy of Jacques Bénigne Bossuet’s Chef-d’oeuvre oratoire, Paris, 1813, is in the Stone Library.

Monday 31st. CFA Monday 31st. CFA
Monday 31st.

Morning at the Office for a few moments only, from there to Mr. Blake’s to arrange matters in relation to the Serenade this evening. Returned to the Office and wrote my opinion for the Moot Court which Davis is to deliver in my place to night.1 I then went to Mrs. Dehon’s and found the bride and bridemaids busy in making up papers of cake. Sidney Brooks came in and he, Abby and I went up to see the Statue of Washington after which we stopped in at Miss Gorham’s and I finally left her on Washington Street. Then went in search of a bouquet for her this evening, returned home, dined, stopped in at Blake’s about the band and then went to Mrs. Frothingham’s where I 199drank tea and came to Mrs. Dehon’s with Abby on my way home to dress myself. Found myself in full dress for a groomsman’s situation. The company was not very large but most of the fashionable girls were present. Among others, Miss Marshall, whose appearance created quite a sensation considering the events which took place between her and Sidney only a year ago. Mrs. Brooks, the bride, looked exceedingly well and Abby appeared to great advantage. The visitors went off early and the bridal party then sat down to a very pretty little Supper which we were quite pleased with, and from which we did not retreat until the close of the day and of the old year. But it was not the close of my labour.


See entry for 24 Dec., and note, above. CFA’s substitute was probably Timothy K. Davis, who was later admitted to the Suffolk county bar ( Mass. Register, 1832, p. 36).