Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 2

Saturday. 12th. CFA Saturday. 12th. CFA
Saturday. 12th.

Did not rise until quite late. Time hangs heavy upon my hands and the elasticity of my mind is temporarily destroyed. At the Office, wrote a letter to my Mother and received two from George at New York.1 He will have reached Washington this afternoon. To day is his birth day and commences his twenty eighth year. Time begins to set heavily on him but he listens not enough to it’s admonitions. Abby is in town at Mrs. P. C. Brooks’ who is ill. I consequently remain in Boston but did not go to see her as I expected she would send to tell me when she could see me. But she did not and I passed the afternoon and evening 229much as usual. Finished Cyril Thornton. My spirits still excessively depressed but more quiet and calm than they have been.


All these letters are missing.

Sunday. 13th. CFA Sunday. 13th. CFA
Sunday. 13th.

Morning quietly at home reading the Chronicles of the Canongate.1 Went to George’s room to look after some papers according to his request and then went to P. C. Brooks’ Jnr. to dine according to invitation. Found Abby quite well and talked with her all the afternoon. Went again in the evening. My spirits having been so low, I found myself foolishly alive to my feelings. And returned home half pleased, half melancholy.


Sir Walter Scott, The Chronicles of the Canongate, 2 vols., Edinburgh, 1827.

Monday. 14th. CFA Monday. 14th. CFA
Monday. 14th.

Received letters from my father as well as my mother.1 The latter in a very dispirited strain, as usual. My not coming on has affected her very much indeed. It now remains to be seen how far George’s visit may be a pleasant one. Called to see Abby and did very little in the way of law. Afternoon at the Office, finished Hoffman’s Legal Study, a good book but not sufficiently practical. Evening at P. C. Brooks Jr. with Abby.


LCA’s letter is missing.

Tuesday 15th. CFA Tuesday 15th. CFA
Tuesday 15th.

I have caught a severe cold and feel unable consequently to get up directly. Wrote a letter to my father which kept me busy until eleven o’clock when I started off in a waggon to Genl. Dearborn’s after some trees which he had given to my father. The dust was dreadful. Having obtained the trees, I rode with a man I got in Boston to Quincy and arrived to dine, after which I was busy setting out the trees. With the advice of Mr. Price Greenleaf I took the lower part of the ground which had been set apart for a nursery and put there in one row forty English Oaks, and in three more, fifty three Elms of the third years growth. I also planted eight Elms and eight buttonwood or plane trees in the inclosure next to the house called the clothes yard, and sowed some shellbarks and pacane nuts as an experiment. A good day’s work. Took tea and returned but severely burnt. An unpleasant ride. Evening with Abby at Chardon Brooks’.