Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 2

Monday 8th. CFA Monday 8th. CFA
Monday 8th.

Returned to town with Mr. Brooks, weather showery but quite mild. Arrived at the Office, and found a letter from my father giving me some more definite information in regard to the future.1 I am therefore now inclined to think there is some probability that they may come on Saturday. My morning was wasted. I spent much time in writing my Index, this part of which I am anxious to conclude. Thos. O. Brackett called upon me on the subject of a Note due by my brother to him,2 to inquire if any arrangement had been made to meet it. I told him, I was in expectation that my father would soon be here when I would see about it. Also Josiah Quincy who came to make some inquiries, regarding some busts which have 387arrived for my father, which I am unable to give any directions about. He informed me of the engagement of my cousin Elizabeth C. Adams to Mr. John M. Gourgas of Quincy,3 which at first I doubted, but hearing it afterwards confirmed, I was very glad of it. The match is respectable. After dinner, I finished the History of Clarendon, which has given me much pleasure. I like the style and the sentiment generally, though subject to exception. Evening, rain, at home.


JQA announced that he and LCA were leaving Washington on 8 June and expected to arrive in Quincy on 13 June. “On returning to Quincy,” he added, “I propose giving as much attention to my own Affairs, as I can; and they will require a great deal” (JQA to CFA, 3 June 1829, Adams Papers).


Thomas O. Brackett was a messenger at the Traders’ Bank ( Boston Directory, 1833). See entry for 23 July, below.


John M. Gourgas Jr. was a lawyer and a justice of the peace in Quincy (JQA, Diary, 18 June 1829; Mass. Register, 1832, p. 83). However, Elizabeth Coombs Adams never married.

Tuesday 9th. CFA Tuesday 9th. CFA
Tuesday 9th.

Morning at the Office but did not remain there for I passed a part of it in the Supreme Court and the remainder at Auction. I purchased some books very low but few for which I cared any thing. The sale was stopped on account of the sacrifice made upon the books. After dinner, I went to see the paintings in the Gallery of the Athenaeum. They did not strike me very much excepting Trumbull’s Sortie at Gibraltar, and a few of the Landscapes. From thence, not having seen Mr. Jones about the Paintings as my father directed,1 which was my principal object, I went to Dr. Welsh’s to take a measure of the bed for a bedstead and to look out the keys of the Quincy Trunks. Having done this, I then went to take a cold bath at the Western Avenue. The water was cold and it was not altogether pleasant. Evening at home. My mind perplexed.


JQA asked CFA to see William Harris Jones, an artist who lived at 141 Washington Street, about cleaning some paintings (JQA to CFA, 3 June 1829, Adams Papers; Boston Directory, 1829–1830).

Wednesday. 10th. CFA Wednesday. 10th. CFA
Wednesday. 10th.

Morning at the Office and in the Supreme Court. I employed myself as much as I could in writing and was surprised to find Mr. Brooks with an Invitation to me to go out to Medford. This disappointed all my plans for the day but thinking that the arrangement would be best on the whole I consented. The weather was very cold, owing to one of our very Easterly winds. Mr. and Mrs. Frothingham dined there. Mrs. Brooks looks quite sick. Evening as usual. Pleasant enough.