Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 3

Tuesday. 21st. CFA Tuesday. 21st. CFA
Tuesday. 21st.

Morning tolerably pleasant although there was a pretty thick fog came up from the Eastward in the course of it. I went in accompanied by Mr. Frothingham to Boston, and spent a considerable portion of 324time in overlooking things at my house, where the servants from Quincy came this morning. Gave directions about several things which I desired done before the Winter to make us a little warmer than we have been. Last Winter was the first trial of a new house and was therefore in many respects uncomfortable. I hope we may do better this.

Went down to the great tree on Boston Common to measure its circumference and compare it with that visited yesterday. I found it nineteen feet three inches, being one foot less. But it is much handsomer in shape.

Sidney Brooks called and settled all the Affair respecting the finding and removing poor George’s body, and he returned me the balance of the sum appropriated for the purpose in his hands. Returned to Medford with Mr. Frothingham. Sidney Brooks and his Wife came to spend a few days. Afternoon Mr. and Mrs. C. Brooks of Boston with her friends from Portland came to visit the place.1 The whole time was wasted, and the evening in talking about nothing.


Charles Brooks was the son of Cotton Brooks of Portland and a first cousin of ABA. Charles and his brother, William G. Brooks, were partners in Brooks & Co., hardware, at 6 Dock Square. The Charles Brooks residence was at 9 Suffolk Place. (CFA, Diary, 18 May 1834; Boston Directory, 1830–1831.)

Wednesday. 22d. CFA Wednesday. 22d. CFA
Wednesday. 22d.

Morning cloudy and cold, threatening a storm. Rode to town as usual, and passed a large part of my morning at the House in pursuing the Catalogue of my father’s books in Boston at my House.1 I was also overlooking several changes which are going on at my House. I propose to mend the condition of things there a little. My study was so charming, I felt very much indisposed to leave it, but was obliged to.

Stopped at the new City Hall to a sale of the Stock and found that it was all as high as ever. Returned to my office late and found little or nothing to do. My time is now so much cut up that I cannot feel disposed to undertake large designs for want of it, and small ones use it up badly. Returned to Medford. Mr. and Mrs. Everett dined with us and it was tolerably pleasant. They went home early.

As the portion of time devoted to my stay here was rapidly vanishing I took an opportunity to ask Mr. Brooks to accompany me to see the Apple Trees for my Father’s Garden which I wished to purchase from the Nursery of a man by the name of Warren. After examining them and ascertaining their origin and goodness, I concluded a bargain for eighty of them at twenty five cents a piece. This is to be a fair 325experiment as we can make to get an Orchard.2 Returned to tea, and wasted the Evening in yawning and conversation.


All of the books which had belonged to GWA became the property of JQA either by pledge or as a part of GWA’s estate. CFA retained possession of the books, keeping them apparently both in his office and at his home.


A similar account of the expedition and of the purchase of the “budded Baldwin apple trees” appears in Brooks, Farm Journal, entry for 23 September.