Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 3

Tuesday. 2d. CFA Tuesday. 2d. CFA
Tuesday. 2d.

Morning clear and mild. After writing a little while I went to the Office as usual and was busy in writing and correcting my Article. But my father’s Servant man Kirke came in from Quincy with a request that I should execute some Commissions, and the performance of them took up some time. I also called to see Mr. Everett and talk with him about my Article. He said he should like to have it and I concluded on the whole to send it to him. We talked of politics and of speaking after which I paid a short visit to his brother Mr. Peabody and Mrs. Everett.1 This over, I thought it a favourable season to drop a Card for Mr. Blake, and one also for my old acquaintance Mrs. 354Tarbell,2 which is all the visiting I propose for the present. Returned home and passed the afternoon in writing over my Article with which I am again becoming disgusted. The ideas seem trite and the language diffuse. But I am resolved to try at all events, and see what practice may do.

Evening, Corinne with my Wife. Mr. and Mrs. Frothingham came in to tell us of an accident which had happened to Horatio Brooks at Fresh Pond. The particulars were not stated but from what could be gathered, it was ascertained that he had broken his Leg. This is an accident extremely unfortunate at this particular season. It is one of those troubles that will happen to disturb and confound all one’s equanimity.3 John Gorham also called in for half an hour.


In the North American Review office.


George Blake, who was replaced as United States district attorney for Massachusetts at the beginning of the Jackson administration, lived at 34 Summer Street quite close by the Thomas Tarbell residence on Avon Place (vol. 1:317; Boston Directory, 1828–1829, 1830–1831).


Horatio Brooks’ injury, a broken thigh, resulted from a fall from a building. He was confined at Fresh Pond until 8 Jan. 1831. When the screw was removed on 21 Dec. he was unable to bend his knee. He was still unable to walk without crutches when he returned home, but whether the condition was permanent is not known (Brooks, Waste Book, 31 Dec. 1830; Farm Journal, 29 Dec. 1830, 8 Jan. 1831).

Wednesday. 3rd. CFA Wednesday. 3rd. CFA
Wednesday. 3rd.

This was the day fixed for the sale of the Wood at Weston. But it looked so cloudy and dark in the morning that I hesitated much about going. At last I concluded that it would be advisable to go if only to stop the sale in time, if bad attendance or weather should cause any necessity for such course. Stopped for Richardson who was ready to go, and arrived there by ten. The sale had commenced, but the Company was large and responsible so that I felt no necessity to do any thing but look on. It was managed with a great deal more expedition than last year. And on the whole was as favourable to my father. The usual ceremony of dinner was performed at which I had an appetite for the rough fare greater than I do on common occasions for the best of food. I stopped the sale at about half past three o’clock when we returned to the House,1 having done enough for one day. The necessary appendage of Tea followed which in the neatness of it’s arrangement pleased me exceedingly. But we delayed too long, for I barely got to Richardson’s House to save him from the rain, which came on with greater violence every minute, and I had for the rest of the time a dark and wet time of it. When I reached home, I was pretty well in the 355Water. Having changed my Clothes, I felt heated and fatigued, and unable to do any thing. So I retired early.


That is, to the farmhouse on the Weston property; see entry for 18 Sept. 1829, above.