Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 5

Friday. 11th. CFA Friday. 11th. CFA
Friday. 11th.

Morning cloudy and much more cool. I went to town with the idea of going to Quincy to meet my father whom I expected to see there, but upon arriving I found a letter dated at Philadelphia on Tuesday informing me of the probability that owing to the sudden illness of my Uncle Mr. Johnson, my Mother would not be able to come away for some time, so that they would not reach this quarter until the middle of next week.1 This changed my plans and after spending my time much as usual, I returned to Medford.


Afternoon, Dr. and Mrs. Stevenson and their child called and spent the afternoon. Of course I could not do much. Read a little of the fourth volume of Puckler Muskau and found him amusing though this is the second perusal.2 Evening quiet. Really a do nothing sort of a life.


JQA to CFA, 8 July (Adams Papers). JQA had preceded LCA to Philadelphia in order to give a deposition in a suit at law arising out of the railroad accident of the preceding year (see above, entry for 10 Nov. 1833). He proposed to await her arrival in Philadelphia before proceeding to Quincy. On receipt of a letter from her written on the 10th (Adams Papers) announcing her decision to remain for some days at least with her brother, JQA resumed his journey on the 11th (JQA to JA2, 12 July, Adams Papers).

Thomas Baker Johnson’s illness was of long duration. In late 1835 CFA became his agent and the manager of his funds, remaining so during Johnson’s lifetime. On Johnson, see vol. 1:443; the entries for 8 Sept. 1835; 25 Feb., 19 April, 12 May 1836, below; and Adams Genealogy. A likeness of Johnson is reproduced in the present volume; see also p. xvi–xvii, above.


As he had earlier (entry for 8 June 1833), CFA borrowed the Tour in England from the Athenaeum.

Saturday. 12th. CFA Saturday. 12th. CFA
Saturday. 12th.

A cool day. I went to town with Mr. Brooks. At Office, where I was engaged with one or two Tenants, after which having received a Notification that I was appointed upon a Committee to make arrangements to do honor to the memory of LaFayette, I attended a meeting of the same at the Office of Mr. Austin but they being slow, I did not wait for the formation of a Quorum. This is a singular appointment from the fact that I never attend the occasions and have a very small number of acquaintances who do. My desire in similar cases is rather to go through all necessary and proper forms than to put myself at all in advance. I showed my willingness to do my part and that was enough. Attended a Stock Sale but purchased nothing.

We went out of town earlier than usual as Mr. Brooks was to have company at dinner. The Agricultural Society of which he is a Member and an Officer have a board of Trustees and these dine at each other’s Houses once in each year. There being twelve, makes the dinner come monthly. In order to fill up the table, strangers are invited as guests. There were today, Messrs. J. Welles, E. H. Derby, Guild, Codman, J. Quincy Jr. and J. C. Gray, of the Society. And Messrs. Gorham, Sam. Welles, R. D. Tucker, Inches, Col. Baldwin, Rev. Mr. Stetson, Guests. Mr. Everett, Mr. Frothingham and Edward Brooks of the family. The dinner was quite pleasant and the Guests departed in good humor. Evening quiet. I could not do much so I retired somewhat earlier than my usual hour.