Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 6

Wednesday. 22d. CFA Wednesday. 22d. CFA
Wednesday. 22d.

Morning fine. I went to the Office early and made arrangements for the reference, but I bethought myself it might be safer to go and examine the foot myself. I therefore asked the smith White to send for the horse and I went down myself to see him examined. The result was a complete conviction that if I rested my case upon that defect in the horse’s hoof which Wilson has made such a rout about, I should be defeated with damages. I therefore immediately concluded to take the horses back with the understanding that my right to a reference was not to be impaired while I was seeking to establish the nature of the defect.1 It does seem as if my good mother would to the end of her days create for me these little mortifications from her confidence in good for nothing servants.

Occupied in Diary and Accounts. Went with Mr. Brooks at noon to Medford. Found my Wife better than when I last saw her and the children nicely. Afternoon doing little or nothing—Reading two or three Articles in the Edinburgh and part of Irving’s book upon the Prairies,2 which I think exceedingly pretty.

183 1.

“Wilson went to Boston this morning with an order from my Son Charles upon Forbes, the livery-stable keeper, for a pair of horses, which Charles at the recommendation of Forbes had purchased for me, and paid for, 500 dollars. It turned out that one of the horses is unsound, and they were sent back to Forbes, but the seller refuses to take them back, and Forbes flinches from or denies his guaranty. The case is referred to an arbitration, and as the precise disease of the horse is not ascertained they were sent for to be tried again”

(JQA, Diary, 24 July).


See entry and note for 16 July, above.

Thursday. 23d. CFA Thursday. 23d. CFA
Thursday. 23d.

Morning clear and warm. I returned to town with Mr. Brooks and went to the Office as usual. Nothing of material consequence. I worked upon my Diary and arranged my Accounts as usual. Read an Article or two in the North American Review. Nothing further, excepting running round about Commissions for my Wife.

Home where I read Juvenal with more steadiness than for some time past. Mr. Frothingham dined with me. He complained of a difficulty in one of his legs, or rather one of his feet. But we had a very pleasant dinner and I was only sorry he was in so much trouble. He left me earlier than usual because his boot pained him.

I took a nap in the Afternoon which the heat of the night had rendered necessary. Evening a short and solitary walk. Then home and sat down at my table with one vigorous effort to finish my No. 8 and last, which I did, but it was nearly midnight before I rose from it. So much for that.

Friday. 24th. CFA Friday. 24th. CFA
Friday. 24th.

Fine warm morning. My No. 6 was not published this morning because it gave way to Mr. A. H. Everett’s first number, a very good one and which I was anxious to introduce in order to fix him into the policy which we have thus chosen to adopt.1 On the whole my plan has thus far succeeded exceedingly well. And it remains to be seen whether a little perseverance and the Autumn Session of the Legislature will not enable us to establish the Advocate firmly.

I went out early this morning for the purpose of taking the Steamboat to visit the new Farm School established at Thompson’s Island. I have been for some years past a subscriber to the charity that used to be called the Indigent boys which has been transferred into the present one. I had my doubts as to the propriety of continuing my subscription, and therefore decided upon resolving them. The Steamboat General 184Lincoln was perfectly crowded with people going down. I met among others Mr. Hallett with whom I had much talk of the figure head of the Constitution, the old story, it was interrupted however and not resumed. We reached the island in a few minutes and went over the House which seems to be a nice one very carefully and very thoroughly built. The number of boys about 60 very nicely dressed and hearty looking children. The conveniences all first rate. Strong solicitations to enlarge the means of the establishment, which are now equivalent to about $3200 per annum besides this property. I must confess I could not see the fitness of the call, but concluded to continue my subscription. The thing is worth an experiment. If it succeeds, then enlarge it.

I returned home after a fatiguing stand of four hours. Started immediately for Quincy where I found my little girl well and the rest of my family. Conversation and nothing remarkable. Quiet evening.


See note to entry for 6 June, above. A. H. Everett’s communications to the Advocate, which he signed “A Friend of Mr. Adams” and in which he undertook to state a rationale for JQA’s positions on issues and parties (and incidentally for his own), appeared on 24 July (p. 2, cols. 1–2), 29 July (p. 2, cols. 1–2), 5 Aug. (p. 2, cols. 1–3), 18 Aug. (p. 2, cols. 1–3), and later, 10 Dec. (p. 2, cols. 1–2). The publication of these was punctuated by the appearance of rejoinders, not designed as a part of the main series, to attacks upon the articles in the Daily Atlas (Daily Advocate, 7 Aug., p. 2, col. 3; 12 Aug., p. 2, cols. 1–2; 15 Aug., p. 2, col. 2).