Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 7

Monday. 7th. CFA Monday. 7th. CFA
Monday. 7th.

A most lovely day which made me regret that the family had not improved it. I thought I would go out and see them for the last time there this season and enjoyed my ride very well.

I had some Commissions to execute, in regard to seeing about my lumber respecting which the men are exceedingly dilatory. I called at the Landing and they made apologies enough without however satisfying me. They now promise for the end of this week but I doubt. Dined 127with the family who are busy in preparation for departure. Transacted business with my father who has enabled me to go in my financial affairs without uneasiness by means of the Checks. I have thus been released from the consequences of buying the Boylston Market shares when I had not funds to pay for them.1 I will not be caught in such a scrape again.

After dinner home. Found my Wife better decidedly. Evening quietly reading Grahame. Mr. and Mrs. Frothingham spent an hour and I had some conversation with him upon religious schisms of late occurrence. He gave me information respecting them.


CFA, both for his own and JQA’s accounts, had for a number of years added to their holdings in the Boylston Market. See the indexes in vols. 4 and 6.

Tuesday. 8th. CFA Tuesday. 8th. CFA
Tuesday. 8th.

The morning opened cloudy but mild and portending a fair day. I went to the Office for a short time and to the Insurance Office to read the news. The returns of the election in Pennsylvania appear to indicate a reaction in public opinion since October and a more favorable state of things for the opposition.1

I called at the house for my little boy John and took him with me down to the Railway where I found my father and all the family had arrived. They appeared in tolerably good spirits and soon moved off in the rear of the puffing engine.2 I returned home unaccountably depressed in my spirits. I have enjoyed the company of the family more this year than I ever did before and have had a kind of occupation in my doings at Quincy which have kept me much amused and happy. Now to come back to this blank, desolate place is altogether cheerless. I have no friends at all here in whom I put any confidence.

Home where I saw Mrs. Angier, then to the Office, where I did very little. Livy as usual, and in the afternoon, occupied with Grahame. Evening at home.


Partial returns from the presidential election in Pennsylvania showed Harrison in the lead except in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties (Daily Advertiser, 8 Nov., p. 2, col. 1).


JQA, accompanied by family and servants, was returning to Washington for the opening of the second session of the 24th Congress on 5 December. The first stage of the journey was by rail to Providence (Diary).

Wednesday 9th. CFA Wednesday 9th. CFA
Wednesday 9th.

A clear day although with a cold wind. I went to the Office and from thence to Quincy. How desolate every thing looked about the old 128house. How different from the life and animation of it but the other day. I found only Torbey the gardener who seemed to be crawling about the premises doing little although clinging with some anxiety to the spot. I gave him his directions and terminated his residence, much to his discomfiture.

But nothing at all had been done about the lumber. But a single load more sent, notwithstanding all the promises. This is provoking. I did not however entirely lose my labour for I saw Mr. Whiting the Mason and made an arrangement with him about the bricks which completes all that I have to do in the way of large materials.

Home to dinner. Afternoon, reading Grahame’s United States, and occasionally arranging papers which I do feebly and without steadiness. My spirits were not steady at all. They would not rally even under occupation as they commonly have done.