Early View of Lincoln County Courthouse, Pownalborough, Maine
||facing page|| 257
A 19th-century engraving from William S. Bartlet’s Frontier Missionary: A Memoir of the Life of the Rev. Jacob Bailey…
, Boston, 1853, p. 79. The three-story wooden courthouse was built in 1761, as the seat of government for Lincoln County. Gershom Flagg, a Boston housewright, was the builder. The courtroom was on the second floor; the lower floor was occupied as a dwelling by Major Samuel Goodwin. After 1794 the court functions were transferred to Wiscasset, but the old courthouse still stands. See the note
on John Adams’ Accounts, 7–12 June 1765
, at p. 259. For his description of a trip to Pownalborough in 1765, see his Autobiography, vol. 3:281–282
Cite web page as: Founding Families: Digital Editions of the Papers of the Winthrops and the Adamses, ed.C. James Taylor. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 2007.