Morning at home, family off, Ben Jonson, Horace, walk, Commissions, Insurance Stock, evening, Gil Blas.1
1. JQA’s copy of Alain-René Le Sage, The Adventures of Gil Blas, translated by Tobias Smollett, 3 vols., London [1793–1794], is in the Boston Athenaeum (Catalogue of JQA’s Books).
Morning at home alone, Hallam, Ben Jonson, Horace, evening, Theatre, Turn Out, Bombastes Furioso.1
1. James Kenney’s musical farce, Turn Out!, and Thomas Barnes Rhodes’ burlesque tragic opera, Bombastes Furioso.
Morning at home, Hallam, Ben Jonson, Horace, evening, quiet at home, Gil Blas.
Morning at home, Hallam, Ben Jonson, Horace, Insurance Stock purchased, evening, Theatre, Cherry and Fair Star,1 Agreeable Surprise.
1. A “Grand Asiatic Melodramatic Romance” by an anonymous French author.
Morning at home, Ben Jonson, packing Law Books for George, walk to Mr. Frye’s, dine there, Mary C. Hellen, evening, Theatre, Mountaineers, Lover’s Quarrels.1
1. George Colman’s The Mountaineers, and Sir John Vanbrugh’s Lovers’ Quarrels; or, Like Master Like Man.
Morning at home, Ben Jonson, Horace, Sterne, Don Quixote,1 walk with Weed, Mary C. Hellen, evening, another walk.
1. The Stone Library contains, in addition to two French translations of Cervantes’ classic, the English edition by Tobias Smollett, 4 vols., London, n.d. Among JA’s books in the Boston Public Library is an incomplete French edition, Paris, 1768, and a Spanish edition, Madrid, 1777, 4 vols. See Catalogue of JA’s Library, p. 47.
Morning at home, Hallam, Ben Jonson, Horace, walk, evening, Theatre, Every one has his fault, my Grandmother.1