- Descriptive List of Illustrations ix
- Introduction xxi
- 1. A Private View of Early American Diplomacy xxi.
- 2. The Family in Wartime xxviii.
- 3. Notes on Editorial Method and the Status of the Edition as a Whole xxxvii.
- Acknowledgments xliii
- Guide to Editorial Apparatus xlvi
- 1. Textual Devices xlvi.
- 2. Adams Family Code Names xlvi.
- 3. Descriptive Symbols xlvii.
- 4. Location Symbols xlviii.
- 5. Other Abbreviations and Conventional Terms xlix.
- 6. Short Titles of Works Frequently Cited l.
- Family Correspondence, April 1778–September 1780 1
- Addendum: Enclosure in James Lovell to Abigail Adams, 5 June 1779 426
Cite web page as: Founding Families: Digital Editions of the Papers of the Winthrops and the Adamses, ed.C. James Taylor. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 2018.