. Col. Josiah Quincy's house, built in 1770, overlooked Boston Harbor from what is now
Muirhead Street in the Wollaston section of Quincy. As long as the Quincy family occupied
it, the estate extended to the water's edge, but in the 1890's it was cut up into
small building lots that now surround and choke the once imposing mansion. In 1937
the house was presented to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities;
see an illustrated account of it in Old-Time New England
, 28:85–89 (Jan. 1938).
Cite web page as: Founding Families: Digital Editions of the Papers of the Winthrops and the Adamses, ed.C. James Taylor. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 2016.