. The residence of Rev. John Hancock, father of the governor, stood on land that became
the property of Col. Josiah Quincy; the house burned down in 1759. JA
acquired this property sometime after Col. Quincy's death in March 1784, and he refers
to it in his Diary as “the Hancock Cellar.” In 1822 he gave the property with other
land to the Town of Quincy in trust for the eventual establishment of a private school
to train young men for college. Adams Academy was completed in 1871, constructed on
the site of the “cellar.” The building is now the home of the Quincy Historical Society.
, 15 March 1784
, below; JA, Diary and Autobiography
, and note 15
; Pattee, Old Braintree and Quincy
, p. 341–342.
Cite web page as: Founding Families: Digital Editions of the Papers of the Winthrops and the Adamses, ed.C. James Taylor. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 2016.