. Mount Ararat was part of the Old Braintree North Common (now West Quincy), which
was divided and sold as lots after 1765. JA bought at least forty acres of the
tract, which, along with certain other lands that proved profitable as granite
quarries, he deeded to the town in 1822 for the purpose of founding a classical
school of high quality. See JA, Diary
; Pattee, Old Braintree and Quincy
, p. 341–343; George Whitney,
Some Account of the Early History and Present State of the
Town of Quincy,
Quincy, 1827?, p. 44.
Cite web page as: Founding Families: Digital Editions of the Papers of the Winthrops and the Adamses, ed.C. James Taylor. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 2014.