. Mount Ararat was part of the old Braintree North Commons (now in West Quincy), divided
and sold as lots in 1765 under the management of a town committee of which JA
was a member (Braintree Town Records
, p.406–407). On 9 June of the present year JA
had acquired from Neddie Curtis 20 acres of this land, which was to prove valuable
for its granite quarries, and he now acquired 20 more (information from Mr. Ezekiel
S. Sargent, Quincy, Mass., in a letter to the editors from Mr. H. Hobart Holly, president
of the Quincy Historical Society, 13 March 1960). In 1822 JA
held still more granite-producing land in this neighborhood, and one of his gifts
to the town toward building a new church and an academy comprised “fifty four acres
more or less, commonly known by the name of the Lane's Pasture, or the Mount Ararat
Pasture, near the seat of the Hon. Thomas Greenleaf” ([Quincy, Mass.,] Deeds and Other Documents ...
, Cambridge, 1823, p. 3–5).