Manuscript map of the boundaries of Bedford, Mass., circa 1760
To order an image, navigate to the full
display and click "request this image"
on the blue toolbar.
This manuscript map of the boundaries of Bedford is rich in detail. The unidentified creator drew the town's borders, listing the locations of identifiable landmarks like stakes, stones, and stumps, as well as trees such as white oak, small birch, pine, and red oak. The Concord River forms the town’s western boundary. Drawn inside the town's boundaries, in pencil, are a series of grids and measurements, as well as references to the earliest land grants in the town, which was set off from Billerica in 1729. At the top left of the map, along the Concord River, is the location of “Two Brothers Rocks,” the boundary of properties owned by Governor John Winthrop and Deputy Governor Thomas Dudley, who considered themselves “brothers” through the marriage of Dudley’s son to Winthrop’s daughter.