Copy of part of a letter
from Private Rupert Saddler, [This manuscript copy spells "Saddler" with two "d"s ]
the Mass. 2nd

Sandy Hook, Md.
Sept. 24 1862

Since the date of
my last letter, we have been con-
stantly on the march. When after
our retreat from Gordonsville, we
reached Washington, we found
no rest there, for the Rebel was in
Maryland. & we had to drive him
out before we could rest in safe-
ty. After a number of marches, we
at last found the enemy, on the
night of the 16th. We took our
position in front of the enemy &
executed until day break to com
mence operations. Firing commenced
at 5 A.M. at 5 30 A.M. we went
to the front to support a battery
the 3d Wisconsin was on our left,
suffering terribly. Gen Hooker
rode up to & told Col Andrews
that we had got the rebels - all
that we had to do, was to push
them. We got a good position
in an orchard, & gave the rebels
an Enfilading fire, which
threw them into confusion.
We then advanced to the

charge & drove them before
us. We captured one of their
flags, & one piece of artillery
Col Dwight took the flag and
rode up & down the lines - the
men all cheering - & we were con
gratulating ourselves on an
easy victory. The 15th Mass
marched by us in splendid
order. They marched up to the
road & charged into some woods
on the other side of the road
they were met by an withering
fire from the rebels, who were
concealed behind some breast
works. Our brigade then advan-
ced to the road & laid down behind
the fence. A large body of rebels
came out of the woods & we had
it hot & heavy until 20 men out
of our 200 were lying on the
ground. We then fell back
to our artillery. At the first
volley, all our field officers
were dismounted. Col Dwight
was mortally wounded, Capt
Francis will lose his hand
Lieuts Crowninshield & Mills
were also badly wounded.
After we had got out of the reach of the enemy, I went back
to see what had become of Col
Dwight. I got a canteen full of
water, & went back again, after
supplying several wounded
men with water. When I got
near the road I had to crawl
on my hands & knees. The rebels
had not advanced any, & I
saw a horse which I thought was
the Colonels. While I was exam
ining it a squad of rebels saw
me, & before firing at once me, I
laid down behind the horse until
they stopped. After I had looked
about for a few moments, I saw a
man with his head lying on a
rail. I felt that it was the Colonel
and hurried to him. It was as I
thought. I gave him a drink of
water, & asked him where it was
he was wounded. He said that
his thigh bone was shattered. I saw
his arm was bleeding & asked him
was it serious. he said that it
was a pretty little round. I saw
two of our men coming & called
them over. The rebels saw them
& began firing. After the firing
had ceased, Col Dwight wanted us to go back to the regiment
Said he "Rupert, if you live, I
want you to be a good boy." I
wanted to bind up his wounds,
but he said that it was no
use. He then gave us direc-
tions about carrying him. We
lifted him into a cornfield. I then
sent one of the men down to the
Regiment for Dr. Stone. He came
up immediately & we then carried
the Col to the Regiment. I had left
my gun & equipment at the
fence & brought down the Col's
sword & pistol. He gave me a
paper that he had been trying
to write on, & the pencil. The paper
was covered with his blood. I gave
them all to Col Andrews except
the pencil. I have that now.

In the evening, I was detailed
by Col Andrews, at Col Dwight's
request, to go & take care of him.
I found him at a hospital
about a mile from the battle
field. The Revd. Mr Quint
Lieut Abbot & the Col's waiter
were there, with some recruits
who had been detailed to carry
the Colonel off. They were waiting
[This text appears on the first page, written along the left margin up the page.] I shall write soon again. God bless you my dearest son
more than
ever dear