Diary of Charles Francis Adams, volume 1

Monday 16th.

March 1824. Monday. 1. VIII.

Tuesday 17th. [—Thursday 19th.] CFA Tuesday 17th. [—Thursday 19th.] CFA
Tuesday 17th. —Thursday 19th.

Arose this morning 17th after having spent a very moderately comfortable night, and made a determination not to come here again. On coming downstairs, and walking into the bar room I had the exquisite satisfaction of finding my trunk safely lodged in the corner having come on this morning. This took off a very great weight from my mind as I had been trying to think of a way to become a little more clean, not having changed my dress since Philadelphia. Had it not come I should certainly have been in a quandary for my only plan was to borrow of George. He was not in town however, therefore I should have been obliged dirty as I was to go to Quincy. I immediately ordered the trunk to my room and had the exquisite satisfaction of finding everything in statu quo. I praised the people of Connecticut up to the skies, being fully conscious that at the South I should not have been so fortunate.

I came to breakfast and fell in with a Connecticut man to be sure, being no more or less than Tudor1 who was staying here for a day or two previous to reappearance at Cambridge. We had some pleasant conversation together on the old subjects, and affairs last term. He went to College at twelve o’clock. I went to Dr. Welsh’s and walked about the town. Not much pleased at seeing it again. Indeed it is one of the most melancholy looking and feeling places that I was ever in. Dined at Dr. Welsh’s and had a great deal of conversation with Miss Harriet2 on the subject of George and of Washington in general. In the afternoon I went to Quincy in the Stage. My Uncle had been in town and went out also. This was the first time I had seen him, many others were in the stage who were old acquaintances, but I was not very well delighted at seeing any of them.


At length we arrived and I had to go through the ceremony of saluting all the family, Mrs. Adams, and all who appeared mighty glad to see me. Grandfather does not look so well as formerly and keeps his room almost altogether. Cousin Louisa in deep mourning on account of the death of her mother—which happened about ten days ago.3 Mrs. Clark very well, and George appearing in very good spirits. I affronted Elizabeth4 very much or her mother, by refusing to open my trunk to night. And made Mrs. C. angry because I had no “little box of the size of a half dollar” with me which no body had heard of. In fact they were all of poor humour except George with whom I had a great deal of conversation. Indeed we kept each other awake until very late at night, talking of the different characters and things I had seen on my journey.

For the rest, There is but little more to be said. I spent Wednesday 18th at Quincy in conversation with my Grandfather and George principally.

And on Thursday 19th, I came back to town, whence, I went to Cambridge and had the pleasure of meeting all my old companions and occupants of Lyceum, collected together in the dining room of our house. After the first salutations, we ventured into conversation, both lively and interesting, inquiring as usual, how we had spent our vacations and telling stories of our adventures. Richardson was returned after a sickness which had made every body believe he would be gone from this world but much to our joy we were disappointed. After dinner I entered my room, to take possession of it again for a long turn—after a pleasant, instructive and interesting vacation of about nine weeks.



Henry Samuel Tudor, a senior, of Hartford, Conn. ( Harvard Annual Cat., 1823).


Harriet Welsh (d. 1857), daughter of Dr. Thomas Welsh. See Adams Genealogy.


Louisa Catherine Catharine Smith (1773?–1857), niece of JA and AA, lived at the Old House. Her mother, Catherine Catharine Louisa (Salmon) Smith (1749–1824), had died on 22 January. See Adams Genealogy.


Elizabeth Coombs Adams (1808–1903), daughter of TBA, hereafter referred to as ECA. See Adams Genealogy.