A website from the Massachusetts Historical Society; founded 1791.

Diary of Charles Francis Adams, 1861

Thursday 27th

27 June 1861

Saturday 29th

29 June 1861
28 June 1861
Friday 28th

Morning very busy in writing letters for the Mail. I finished one to Mr Dana, and one to my son John. Yesterday Lord John Russell at the Drawing room asked me to call and she see him today at a quarter before twelve. I had myself written him requesting an interview, which he had not heard of. So I want to his house. My object was two fold. First, to express the thanks of the government for the mode of my reception and conference. Secondly, to disavow the authority of some reports of my despatches which are found in the American newspaper. He seemed disposed to receive both in good part, and we went on in a general way conversing upon the different questions at issue quite sociably. It now seems to me as if we were going upon smooth watter again. But Congress meets soon and nobody can tell what complications their rashness may plunge us into. I was there177 only three quarters of an hour, and then returned to make up a report of the conversation with which to close my despatch. In the evening we were once more dressed up in our finery and went to Buckingham Palace to attend a musical concert. The Hall contained about six hundred person. The Queen did not attend, but went instead to spend the night at Richmond. Prince Albert, the prince and princess Royal of Prussia, the princess Alice and her brother, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and the princess Mary represented the succession. All the music was religious. Some it was very good but it was felt to be heavy. The absence of the Queen shadowed every thing. In the interval in the programme the corps Diplomatique followed the Court into the supper room. Here Mrs Adams and I were presented to the Princess of Prussia, the eldest daughter of the Queen. She talked the usual formula of such persons. Prince Albert also came and spoke to me in what is called a gracious manner. I felt awkward in my harness which is stiff and uncomfortable. The concert was finished at a little after midnight, but the delay of carriages was such we did not get home until half past one. Very cheerfully did I lay down the masquerade habit, I hope for some time.

Cite web page as:

Charles Francis Adams, Sr., [date of entry], diary, in Charles Francis Adams, Sr.: The Civil War Diaries (Unverified Transcriptions). Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 2015. http://www.masshist.org/publications/cfa-civil-war/view?id=DCA61d179