Mission, Vision, and Values
To promote understanding of the history of Massachusetts and the nation by collecting and communicating materials and resources that foster historical knowledge.
A world where historical understanding is the cornerstone of a healthy democracy.
To realize this vision, we strive to make our collections accessible to all. We aim to make a difference in our community, and we connect with people in imaginative and intellectual ways. As a center for learning and engagement, we enhance the understanding of our nation’s past and its connection to the present. We provide a forum for discussion and debate. We will become a destination in the Boston area to serve multiple communities from the local to the international.
We believe that historical understanding is critical to creating a better world. We welcome everyone to draw upon our collections to encourage a richer understanding of our past. We use our resources to educate, connect, and inspire in order to build historical empathy, foster civic responsibility, and generate an awareness of and respect for our shared humanity.
Our work will be guided and informed by our beliefs and commitments to:
- We make our collections accessible to all
- We encourage everyone to examine primary source materials, make their own observations and interpretations, and share their ideas among many audiences
- We connect with people in imaginative and intellectual ways
- We support the value of historical knowledge and evidence for civic discourse and discussion
- We encourage healthy debate and respect differences of opinion
- We serve multiple and diverse communities from the local to the international
- We endeavor to document all aspects of history with a connection to Massachusetts
- We collect strategically and act as responsible stewards
- We pursue excellence across all aspects of our work
- We lead through best practices, innovation, and example